Group Leader - PDSU (m/f)
- Direct Process Development Chemists and Technicians in performing projects and experiments to scale-up and develop new processes/products for the Oleochemical productions in Mapleton, Janesville, and Hopewell to meet the needs of the Business Lines and the Customers.
- Support Production at all NA Oleochemical sites: Mapleton, Janesville & Hopewell, as appropriate in preparation of New Product Trials/Scale-ups, Product Transfers, Rework, Production Problems, and raw material substitutions in close cooperation with Procurement. Achieve raw material and cost savings improvements, including cycle time optimization to increase capacity. Supervise Technicians in the disposition of Plant batches, and Application testing of products. Use computerized engineering software, such as ChemCAD, to simulate processes, and utilize to solve process engineering problems and improve production processes. Troubleshoot complex chemical process operations. Recommend and facilitate corrections or improvements in processes.
- Communicate and coordinate on Business Line Development Projects, Sample Requests, and Production issues with the PDSU Manager, BL Managers (Technology, Sales & Marketing, and Product) and Chemists, Laboratory Staff (PDSU & QC), and Plant personnel.
- Provide technical service on EGC products to current and potential Customers in support of the BLs' activities in the Market. Interface with Customers on BL projects as requested by the BLs. Make Lab & Pilot scale Customer samples, for new products, transfers, or process improvements
- Prioritize and assign workloads to PDSU Group members, to balance the needs of the various Business Lines, as well as Production needs. Keep up with New Process Developments through Literature research.
- Advise and develop PDSU personnel to be able to design meaningful process studies, summarize data, and draw sound conclusions from their work. Evaluate members of the department, and provide feedback about their performance, in order to develop more effective personnel.
- Degree in Chemical Engineering and Chemistry. PhD plus 2 years relevant experience, or Master's degree plus 5 years of relevant experience, or Bachelor's degree plus 7 years of relevant experience.
- Relevant experience in process engineering, process improvement, process development, scaleup, or synthesis of new chemicals.
- Preferred experience in the Surfactant Industry. Industrial chemicals applications is preferred over academia or basic research.
Evonik Industries AG
Mapleton, Illinois [USA]