Determination of Glucosamine in Chondroitin Sulfate-Containing Samples
Dionex announces a rapid, sensitive, and versatile method for determining glucosamine (GlcN) in dietary supplements that also contain chondroitin sulfate (CS) using a high performance anion-exchange (HPAE) chromatography system with pulsed amperometric detection (PAD). Application Update 164: Determination of Glucosamine in Chondroitin Sulfate-Containing Dietary Supplements Using HPAE-PAD applies the method described in Application Note 197 for the determination of GlcN in a variety of dietary supplements containing CS. GlcN is determined directly using PAD, without the pre- or postcolumn derivatization required when using fluorescence detection. PAD can also be used to simultaneously detect other carbohydrates. The CS does not overload the column and cause retention time shifts or peak broadening.
The U.S. FDA requires manufacturers of dietary supplements to follow current good manufacturing practices (cGMP). These practices require products containing dietary supplements to be accurately labeled and free of impurities. Simultaneous determination of glucosamine, impurities, and inactive ingredients in dietary supplements using HPAE-PAD not only reduces time and labor required for ingredient analysis, but also provides accurate, reproducible results.
Source: Dionex Corp.
More news from this company
- Thermo Fisher Scientific to Acquire Dionex Corporation (12/14/2010)
- Dionex Application Improves Determination of Iodide and Iodate in Seawater and Other Saline Matrices (10/02/2009)
- Dionex Enters into Agreement with ESA Biosciences to Acquire the Assets of ESA Life Sciences Tools Business Unit (09/17/2009)
- Dionex Application Improves Determination of Sulfate and Sulfamate in Topiramate Using Ion Chromatography (09/15/2009)
- Dionex Customer Application Improves Resolution and Separation of Intact Proteins (06/03/2009)